30 September 2013

Leaving Croatia

Yesterday was fairly uneventful.  I packed my bag, checked out, arranged a taxi for the airport etc. before going to get a last espresso and Krafna from the local bakery.  

I also arranged to meet Isabella from the sailing tour for coffee at 11.00, and I had one last wander around the old town of Split with her before leaving for the airport.

Croatia has been wonderful.  So beautiful, so much history.  The people are fantastic.  The language barrier hasn't been a problem as they all appear to speak English (gosh we didn't even bother to learn to say please or thank you, Isabella pointed out).  The coffee has been great as well as the Krafna and Strudels.  The Sailing trip has been one of the most relaxing times in my life.  It is a wonderful way to travel, with the weather being perfect the whole time. 

I was very nervous about my flights as I only had a 45 minute transfer.  I was flying from Split to Vienna, and from Vienna to Venice.  But I needn't have been concerned.  It was one of the most seamless transfers I've had, and on the plane from Split the screens showed which gate to go to for each transfer.  It all worked like clockwork. 

Landing in Vienna was similar to flying into Dublin, you could see green everywhere.  Landing into Venice however was simply amazing.  You could actually see the whole Island, and I could even see the tower of San Marco.  It was one of those times I was actually grateful to have a window seat (I usually prefer aisle).

Waiting for me at the Venice airport were my cousins Sabrina and Claudia.  They had come to pick me up to take me to Bergamo where they live.  We had to drive 2.5 hours to get there.  That means they spent 5 hours in the car just to pick me up.  I don't know what I can do for them in return.  When we got home (late), we had a bite to eat and went to bed.  The poor girls are at work now, probably exhausted.

I don't think I took one photo yesterday.  So there is nothing to see here.

No comments: