29 September 2013

Walking Split

I had a lazy morning in this morning and had biscuits for breakfast.  There are these wafer biscuits you can buy that I tried on the boat the other day, which I just can't get enough of.  After my shower I went out for my daily espresso.  Then wandered past the fish market, and then went to the green market for some fruit.




The weather was cloudy, but quite hot, and I was expecting rain from the forecast.  But given the heat, I decided I should make my way to the beach.  So I went back to the apartment, got changed and walked to the beach.  It took about half an hour to get there, and yes Todd, I actually got in the water!

When I got back to the town it was really quite late so I wandered around to find myself a salad for lunch (after all the biscuits I'd eaten, I didn't need more than a salad).  I ordered a greek salad, but I've had better.  From there I went to do a walking tour.  The next one was till 5.00 so I had to wait around for a bit.  

The tour guide eventually arrived and he proceeded to show us around the town, providing us with an excellent history and the stories behind all the old walls.  Split's old walls are now UNESCO heritage listed, and for good reason.  So there is a mish-mash of architecture and there is lots of renovation going on, but mostly you notice all the walls of the old Empire or their remnants scattered about the place.  It was a really interesting tour, and whilst I had seen most of the town already, I now saw it with new eyes.  Fascinating.





There was a girl on the tour from Auckland and after the tour ended, we walked some way together.  I was about to ask her to join me for dinner, but she wouldn't let me get a word in edge-wise, so when I did get a word in, I said my goodbyes.

I went back to the apartment and changed into jeans and searched on-line for a restaurant recommendation.  A couple of sites strongly recommended Restaurant Nostromo, and I had seen the restaurant and knew it was close to my apartment so I went there.  It is near the fish market and apparently the owners of the restaurant are also owners of the fish market.  I ordered the prawn risotto, but I have to say I enjoyed the bread (on which I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar) more!  I also thought the waiter was a bit rude so I didn't bother leaving a tip.

No comments: