07 October 2013

The last day

Having stayed up late writing last night, and the fact that I'm not quite 100% yet (although a miraculous improvement from Friday), I was fairly tired and not feeling great this morning when I woke up.  So I stayed in bed and fell asleep again.  After I woke, I went downstairs and had some breakfast and skyped Todd.  By the time I got out for the day it was really too late to do anything, and I was planning on going to the Burj Khalifa, but I wouldn't have enough time to get back in time for my desert safari tour.  So instead I just went to the mall and had a pedicure (desperately overdue), and a spot of shopping!

When I got back to the hotel, I quickly changed and then the phone call came through that the tour guide was there to pick me up.  The front seat of the land cruiser was vacant so I claimed the seat as mine.  

The drive out to the sand dunes was a good 80 kms, and I felt weary.  I just wanted to sleep.  But as we got nearer and the landscape changed, I perked up from the excitement.  I also noticed loads of other land cruisers driving in the same direction.  

When we got there, the guide stopped the car to deflate the tyres.  With the tyres well and truly flat, we were off.  For some reason leading up to the drive, I had no hesitation or fear at all.  But suddenly us he started going up and down and around these dunes, and by that I mean sideways... you could say my heart was pretty much stuck in my throat the whole time.

It was a pretty bumpy ride, to say the least, and there were a couple of times where I thought I was going to get whiplash.  But other than that it was fun.  But the funniest thing of all was when we saw another land cruiser stop and an Asian lady and daughter got out the car.  One was dry-reaching, but the daughter threw up.  Hilarious!!  And seriously, it wasn't THAT bad!

There were a couple of photo stops along the way, but the sunset stop.  Wow, the sunset stop.  So stunning, I think it was the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen.  I don't believe I managed to capture it on camera though.  I'll see when I get back home.

As an aside, I saw so many land cruisers on the dunes, that I reckon there were hundreds of cars out there.

Then we got to our 'camp' where we had a camel ride.  Getting up on the camel and being on the camel was fine, but when he stopped and bent down for me to get off, I thought I was going to go flying off instead!

Dinner was buffet style of traditional food which was pretty bloody awesome.  I also went and got a hanna tattoo on my left hand.  And we were also treated to some traditional dancing including a belly dancer.  She was gorgeous, and I wish I had a belly like hers!

Back in the car for the drive back and Abdul our driver started questioning this Indian guy in the group about where he had been and what he knew about where he had been.  There was a lot of banter back and forth, but Abdul came out with heaps of facts about Dubai which were really interesting.  He told us that there are 69 shopping Malls in Dubai.  One of them is 1.8 kms long, and is being extended (he drove us past it).

Anyway, I got back to the hotel, showered and packed my bag.  I am now at the airport and my gate has just opened.  So, I'm going to say Goodbye to Dubai, and goodbye to the blog.  Until next time.

Thanks for you die-hards for reading and checking in on what I've been up to.  I hope my writing hasn't been too unbearable, and that if anything you may have also been occasionally entertained for your efforts.  (Sorry, no photos again.)

Arriverderci amici.  xx


No comments: