03 October 2013

Verona, Bardolino e Lazise

Sabrina, my darling cousin was my tour guide yesterday.  She knew I was keen to go to Verona, so on her day off she drove me to three beautiful towns.  First stop Verona after stopping at an Autogrill for a coffee (hers with ginseng).  A second stop for GPL (I haven't heard of cars that use GPL in Australia).

When we arrived in Verona, we needed to park the car.  Sabrina drove into a multi-storey car park and asked whether we had car parks like this in Italy.  She was being serious because she thought Australia was so large that we didn't need them.  I thought she was joking, so I sarcastically said that, no, I've never seen one before.  She thought I was serious.  

We first walked to the Verona Arena.  What a sight to see.  Magnificent.  Then we walked through some streets housing some lovely shops, to see Juliette's balcony.  From there through the Piazza and to the Torre dei Lamberti for a panoramic view of the city.  So lovely, and I told Sabrina that I didn't realise how big Verona was.  I thought it was just a small town.







We wandered on to the bridge to see River Adige, and we had lunch nearby by.  From there we decided to make our way to the next town of Bardolino, but not before stopping to get a gelati.  I got caffe and bacio, which was truly another fantastic gelati, but the texture was not as creamy, and it reminded me of the gelati I used to eat in my childhood.  Delicious.


At Bardolino we walked through the shops as I was determined to buy a pair of good quality shoes in Italy and I was fast running out of time.  But not seeing anything truly classic that I wanted except some gorgeous handbags, we walked on to see Lago di Garda.  The girls tell me that this lake is more beautiful than Como, and they don't understand what all the fuss is about for Como.  When I saw it, I saw for myself how beautiful it is, although I cannot compare to Como.  From our walk, even Sabrina suggested that I might be better off purchasing a bag instead of shoes, at least I will have something, and I had resolved that I would buy one of the bags we had seen.  When we got back to the first bag shop we had seen, even Sabrina purchased a bag for herself.




From there we got back in the car and went to Lazise, another gorgeous little town on the lake.  We had a quick wander around before heading back home, but not before driving through the small town of Peschiera del Garda, where the water from the lake was clearer and more of a turquoise colour.  Just beautiful, with lots of lovely flowers well maintained.




Another long day, but it was not as tiring as going to Torino the day before.  And I got to see a whole other perspective of Italy.  A different look at a most beautiful part of the world.

Back at home, I packed my suitcase and we had diinner together.  Who knows when we three will next be together again.  I will miss these girls so much.  

I love you Claudia and Sabrina.  Come visit soon.  You have a hoard of cousins waiting.  xxxxxx



No comments: